This very popular gelato place sits on the corner of Venables and Glen Dr. covered in pink paint with the three Italian colours of green, white and red on the roof. Amazingly, they now have 518 different flavours, though only 218 are on site at a time. It’s always packed, with a lot of kids. However, I’ve only gone during the summer season, so I wonder how the business is during winter time.
The great thing is that you get to try the flavours. It’s one small scoop on a tiny spoon, but it’s enough for you to taste the flavour. You’ll see everything from chocolate, brandy, fruits, wasabi, lychee and so on.
This time, I tried:
- Avocado: it’s very faint. The taste of the avocado doesn’t appear until the ice cream has pretty much melted in your mouth and leaves that ‘avocado’ taste. But it’s subtle. Very interesting.
- Coconut: nice! It’s got frozen coconut chunks and the ice cream is very creamy and flavourful. I quite like it.
- Bailey Chocolate Cheesecake: a hint of alcohol. The three flavours mix well together.
Ice cream here is a bit on the pricier side. It’s $5 a scoop or $7 for two, and you can have it either in a cup or cone.
This is a must go to for the summer season, especially if you love gelato! You’ll never run out of flavours to try…at least for a while…:P
Another time I went, it was around 9pm, but it was jam packed again!
- Chai Tea which one guy (stranger) said to me that it was really good. I tried it, but wasn’t wow-ed as he put it. To me it didn’t seem like chai flavour.
- Nerds: wow…so purple!! It tasted really chemically and infused with lots of artificial flavour. It was like tasting really bad kid’s gum. Blah.
- German Chocolate cake: very rich – if you like chocolate, give this a try!
I ended up getting the Peach Plum and Jasmine Tea. Both were subtle and complimented each other. The 2 scoops were a good portion and we enjoyed the sitting on the stone benches in the parklet across the street with the Xmas lights dangling from the trees (even though it’s summer).